Monday, February 11, 2019

The High Mayors of Chicago, Kevin Jennings, April 2009









Post exhibition installation of the Stone of Destiny at a nearby park in Bridgeport, Chicago.

Second Bedroom Project Space presents The High Mayors of Chicago, a group of works by artist Kevin Jennings conflating the powerful Irish mayors from Bridgeport and the High Kings of Ireland. The artist will explore the link between the history of the Irish mayors form Bridgeport and the mythology surrounding the High Kings of Ireland and their coronation process, which, according to Irish legend, occurred when the Stone of Destiny on the Hill of Tara would give a roar that could be heard all over the island when touched by the true High King.

Kevin passed away in the summer of 2016. He was a close friend and mentor to me and to many many students he taught and cared for at UIC. He remained my connection to the art school at UIC after I graduated where he would host me during his lunch hour to talk about art or help me work on projects. I miss him very much.

No comments: